Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bassists [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 09-05-2003, 06:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to FiveStringsNme Send a message via Yahoo to FiveStringsNme
Honest Opinion of Tom Araya's bass lines....

C'mon guys, even though they are a kick-arse band, what do you think of his bass lines?

Gear:
G&L L2500,ESP LTD C-305
Ampeg BA 115(I want a rig!)

"Most ironic of all, was the last gift that Raziel had given me. More powerful than the sword that now held his soul, more acute even than the vision that his sacrifice had accorded me. The first, bitter taste of that terrible illusion: Hope"
- Kain(from Legacy of Kain)
Old 09-05-2003, 06:44 PM

Comeone dude, seriously:
Guitar:
5 754 7
5 754 7
4 5 65
5 5 5 3 3 3 3
3333 7 7

Bass
-------------------------
---------------
--------------------
---3333----7--7----
Old 09-05-2003, 06:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to FiveStringsNme Send a message via Yahoo to FiveStringsNme
Even though the basslines are extremely simple...I think they work with the music, you can't expect slap pop or half the tricks Ryan Martinie does....

Tom Araya can do better, but he does a good job, I think cuz the songs are guitar oriented anyways...

Gear:
G&L L2500,ESP LTD C-305

"Most ironic of all, was the last gift that Raziel had given me. More powerful than the sword that now held his soul, more acute even than the vision that his sacrifice had accorded me. The first, bitter taste of that terrible illusion: Hope"
Old 09-05-2003, 06:54 PM

Oh yeah man, he probably shreds probably as a solo artist... But I mean, I can't see some crazy basslines in a guitar (like you said) oriented band...
=P
Old 09-05-2003, 07:30 PM

Tom as a Solo artist? I dunno, maybe he'd be awesome, or then again so used to ONLY pumping notes here and there that he doesn't care for anything else.

who knows, I mean he's in a successful band and made a lifetime career outta it...

Gear:
G&L L2500,ESP LTD C-305

Old 09-05-2003, 07:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Microbass Send a message via AIM to Microbass Send a message via MSN to Microbass Send a message via Skype™ to Microbass
so has hoppus and fieldy...now what?
Old 09-05-2003, 08:31 PM

Quote:
as posted by Microbass
so has hoppus and fieldy...now what?
yea but Blink isn't an awesome band and KoRn is so-so...

Gear:
G&L L2500,ESP LTD C-305

Old 09-05-2003, 08:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to ole Jason
I've always got the feeling he focuses more on vocals than bass playing.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:05 PM

I agree with you man, either way it is awesome music, and you gotta keep in mind it is guitar oriented!

Quote:
BLOOD WILL STERILIZE

Gear:
G&L L2500,ESP LTD C-305

Old 09-05-2003, 10:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Osama_Spears
Tom who?

what band?
Old 09-06-2003, 12:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to Matt Till
Tom Araya plays bass/sings for Slayer.

His basslines... he does what every metal bassist is suppose to do... hide behind the guitar. When he occasional peaks out, he does some OK stuff. You gotta take into account his style of singing probably requires simplified playing. For as long as he's been playing, he's probably got some impressive chops, but doesn't show them off. On the albums, with decent production, he can be heard, but their early stuff, and their late stuff has pretty band production... I actually think Divine Intervention has the worst production value out of all Slayer albums. I cranked it up on a road trip one time and had a headache... normally metal doesn't do this to me. Too high endy. But back to his basslines, yeah, simple, but they fit.
Mediocre Bassist Club Member #4
Old 09-06-2003, 01:55 AM

The basslines are simple and powerfull. They work great with the kind of music Slayer plays. I don't have to many of the cd's but I have 3 live recordings with them (one official and two that aired on radio here in Sweden). Tom's bass is heard well and I love the tone he has. It's perfect for Slayers music.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Osama_Spears
Not a big Slayer fan.

Sorry.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to Sanctum
Yea, you know, as much as I love Slayer, Tom isn't exactly on my list of influences .....

I read an interview once with him and he was talking about his playing style, when he switched from finger playing to using a pick. He basically stated that he used to try to match the guitar riffs while playing, but it was too difficult while singing, so he switched to a simpler style and using a pick (I don't quite get that correlation, but whatever.)

I have some old Slayer concerts on video and he definitely used to play more complex parts than he does now.

Slayer is a band that I focus on as a whole and not the individual parts.

They are coming here next month, on tour with Arch Enemy!!!! Should be a great show.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:12 PM

w\ Arch Enemy...DAMN!!!!! mind putting up a link?

Gear:
G&L L2500,ESP LTD C-305

Old 09-06-2003, 03:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sanctum
http://www.americanrecordings.com/slayer/
Old 09-06-2003, 04:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to DeepDeath
Tom Araya is not a good bass player, he's proficent for Slayer but I know from relatives and his friends that he is not "badass" on bass. Lemmy even kicks Tom's ass.

Speaking of Arch Enemy....there new single is WAYYYYYYY not worth my time...there losing from the sounds of it.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:28 PM

how do you know from his friends and relatives, just wondering...

Gear:
G&L L2500,ESP LTD C-305

Old 09-07-2003, 02:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to DeepDeath
I know metalheads from Dark Realm Records which is a very known LA Local Store, the owners went to school with Tom's younger brother. We've all talk and know each other.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:27 PM

He's more of a singer than a bassiist... Excuse me, bass player .