1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Guy Pratt and his gear

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BassMan250, Aug 13, 2007.

1. BassMan250

BassMan250

I've been watching Pulse a lot recently (Pink Floyd live at Earls Court 1994) and listening to their later albums and I've been impressed by Guy Pratt's playing- extremely consistent and providing a solid basis for each song, and displaying some serious chops when he decides to step forward in the mix. Anyway, I noticed on Pulse that he uses an old P-bass, a red 4-string with a P/J pickup combo that looks like a Spector, and some sort of 5-string headless. Could anybody clue me in on what the latter two basses are, and also what kind of amps and effects he uses? Much appreciated
  2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    He also has a 1964 Burgandy Mist Fender Jazz bass.
    Some Status basses.
  3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Does anyone know what he's doing these days or who he's playing with? I think I remember him slapping "Another Brick in the Wall" in some live footage I saw, I liked it so much I started doing it too when we played that song with my school band. It was never my favourite song to play but Guy's idea made it a bit more fun. :D
  4. Nakedfish

Nakedfish

5. cetera

cetera

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    The red 4-string is a Spector NS2. At the time of Pulse I believe he was using Trace Elliot including the programmable pre-amp.

He also plays Stingrays and more recently the Status 'Vintage GP' bass (http://www.status-graphite.com/status/carts3/frames/frame1.htm) through Ashdown heads/cabs.

For some real high quality Guy Pratt basslines check out the amazing self-titled 'Toy Matinee' album...... or Madonna's 'Like A Prayer' :bassist:
  6. BassMan250

BassMan250

Thanks a bunch, I'm guessing that headless was a Status then. I'll definitely check out those basslines too.
  7. Rush Fan

Rush Fan

[For some real high quality Guy Pratt basslines check out the amazing self-titled 'Toy Matinee' album[/QUOTE]

+1 here. Still a great CD listen. Great playing and production.
  8. cetera

cetera

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    +1 here. Still a great CD listen. Great playing and production.[/QUOTE]

It's such an underrated classic isn't it?!? Superb songs, amazing musicianship and probably the best production I've EVER heard.... I LOVE it! :bassist:
  9. Depot Town

Depot Town

Guy's headless basses (one fretted and one fretless) are from Status as suggested. He is a great musician and has played with numerous artists from Madonna to Roxy Music to Michael Jackson!

He does a stand up comedy show in his spare time in England. It is called "My Bass and Other Favorite Animals". He has a lot of funny stories of his career and as well as plays some bass.

He just released a book also also titled "My Bass and Other Favorite Animals". It is just stories from his career. The last chapter is a discussion on his basses and gear. There is also a chapter discussing his playing live of various Pink Floyd songs with them.

He is also married to Pink Floyd's keyboard player Rick Wright's daughter - Gala.