1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MOURADIAN CS-74

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by agplate, Mar 21, 2007.

1. agplate

agplate

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here's a few shots of my Mouradian CS-74. I've been looking for one of these for many years and here it is! It's all original except for the pickups. Jim Mouradian installed these EMG's a few years back and much prefers them to the original Bardens. I'd be interested in hearing from other owners on their pickups and Mouradian stories in general. The tone of this bass is unlike any others I own. It's clanky like a Rickenbacker but with more "tear your head off". For a good idea of the sound, listen to Chris Squire play "Mind Drive" or "Homeworld". Love it or hate it, it's a bass ahead of it's time! This bass, according to Mouradian is the 3rd one made (Squire has #1, Mouradian #2) and is the one photographed for the original brochure. For this reason, it's painted with a gloss black body except for the edge contours and neck- which are painted a subtle metallic black to pick up the curves in the photography.
  2. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

Here's a few shots of my Mourdian CS-74. I've been looking for one of these for many years and here it is! It's all original except for the pickups. Jim Mouradian installed these EMG's a few years back and much prefers them to the original Bardens. I'd be interested in hearing from other owners on their pickups and Mouradian stories in general. The tone of this bass is unlike any others I own. It's clanky like a Rickenbacker but with more "tear your head off". For a good idea of the sound, listen to Chris Squire play "Mind Drive" or "Homeworld". Love it or hate it, it's a bass ahead of it's time! This bass, according to Mouradian is the 3rd one made (Squire has #1, Mouradian #2) and is the one photographed for the original brochure. For this reason, it's painted with a gloss black body except for the edge contours and neck- which are painted a subtle metallic black to pick up the curves in the photography.[/QUOTE]

I love it!! Congrats in finding it :)
  3. KPJ

KPJ

Very nice, Jason!
  4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

This is the ONE bass on my "must own list".

I've been wanting and looking for one for the past 10 years or more.

TD
  5. The Hammer

The Hammer

Here are some shots of mine. It was found by a member of talkbass a couple of years ago on eBay. Some fool had removed the original Barden pickups and installed some Barts. Jim Mouradian reinstalled Bardens on it and filled in the hole that was gouged in it to allow the humbucking Bart to fit. I've thought about having Jim refinish it but I kinda like the well played look so I haven't yet. One of the best playing basses I own. The Sound is much like Agplate described it, I say that it sounds like a Rick on steroids

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

What's the Mouradian story? Is/was Jim Mouradian a "part-time" builder who gave up the business? or is just not online?

The instruments are incredibly unique.
  7. Tim F

Tim F

I've known Jim for nearly 25 years....first met him when he had his shop out behind the family oriental rug biz in Winchester, MA. I sought him out for help regarding bass building, and am ever thankful for making his acquaintance. One of the nicest humans on the planet, a truly swell individual. I'm no expert on the CS-74 story, and it would take too much time to fully explain....check out Jim Roberts' book "American Basses"...he's got a write up on Jimmy that goes into it. I believe he flirted with a production deal, but it left him with a bad feeling when he realized it would mean he wouldn't be as "hands on" as he wanted. He finds repair work more satisfying, and has stuck with that, 'tho he still builds from scratch occasionally...his "Reality" basses are very hip. He can be found in his shop, on the 3rd floor above Cambridge Music, Mass. Ave., Porter Square, Cambridge, MA. He's one of the best, most fastidious setup/repair guys you will ever find....GOOD bass player, too!
  8. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

he sounds like a true artist. thanks.
  9. xlows

xlows

:eek: :eek: :eek: That bass...those basses...WAY TOO SEXY! They are my ultimate GAS basses. Long live Jim.
  10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Jim's shop is right around the corner from me. He really is one of the best human beings on the planet. Great find on that bass.
  11. Fealach

Fealach Guest

[​IMG]

Lousy picture of mine. Had it for around 14 years, bought it back when I was a penniless student from a MA music store staffed by idiots; fortunately, they had no idea what it was so I could afford it. I never touched my Ric after I bought it.

I'd toyed with the thought of selling it lately, I have too many 4 strings to play them all and sonically it sounds somewhere between my Tobias (though not as "smoky" and smooth) and my Alembic (though not as bright and aggressive) so it's a bit redundant. I'm no longer a student, but just as penniless, and hunger makes you do silly things. Then one day on a whim I played it with a pick (I almost never pick) and instantly I knew it couldn't sell it. It's killer with a pick, through a tube amp right on the edge of breakup. It also plays like a dream. Just wish it didn't have dots. I really really really hate dots.
  12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx

Those basses are certainly unique looking...
  13. Tony38

Tony38

Hi,
    Managed to get this CS-74 a few weeks ago, after drooling over CS's green one since the age of 13. Feels great to be a member of the "CS-74 owners club"!! This guitar sounds awesome but the p/up's are definitely coming off soon - there is too much interference with these unidentifiable single coils. How are you chaps getting along with your Mouradians?

London, UK.

Attached Files:

14. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

I was recently told by a friend who was speaking to Jim Mouradian. He told me that Jim is going to start making the CS-74 again. He won't mass produce them, just fill custom orders that come in to his shop for them.

I asked my friend to ask Jim, if he would and could build a 5 string version of the CS-74 with a 34" scale. I'm waiting to hear back.

TD
  15. Tony38

Tony38

Well, you never know. He may well do. He must get inundated with people asking him to make them a CS-74. I know I did. I wrote to him about 6 months but received no reply. Maybe if you are near Boston, you could ask him direct? E-mails are easy to ignore when one is busy! A five-string would indeed be one of a kind. Would that be called a CS-75?
  16. Hoover

Hoover

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okay, those two photos have convinced me that the only way there could ever be a cooler looking body shape than a CS-74

...would be to have a left-handed CS-74 body shape (on a right-handed bass, of course). That would be freakin' hawt.

btw, is Jim Mouradian the same guy who makes the gig bags? Or is that Mooradian, different spelling & different person?
  17. Fealach

Fealach Guest

I still love mine, but like any instrument not custom made for me there are a few things I'd change. I've removed the neck pickup - I never used it, it got in the way, and most importantly blocked access to the truss rod. I never do non-reversible mods on worthy instruments, so please don't beat me. Since there's just the one pickup, the pickup switch was pretty pointless, so now the controls are volume (pull for passive), series/parallel, active treble/bass.

The dots I can't really do anything about, sadly. I love the neck and scale length. Super easy to play. It sits just perfect for picking, and sounds better than anything else I have with a pick.

While I had it apart, I tried Bartolinis in it. Normally I love Barts, but in the Mouradian they just didn't sound that good. Also tried the Mouradian pickup in another bass and hated it. I think it sounds a bit better in passive mode, but I kept the stock active pre for the additional control when I need it.

This is the most thoroughly shielded bass I've ever seen, but it still picks up all kinds of hiss. Using a wireless eliminated that completely.
  18. Asomodai

Asomodai

I would love to buy one of these, whats the ballpark figure on one nowadays?
  19. Tony38

Tony38

I don't know how to quote someone's reply on this website correctly, but in response to Fealach, I think it's a lovely bass. I had a luthier ground the frets and do a set up on it after it arrived from the states....there was no way I was going for that truss rod myself! He was suprised that the tone control didn't work, so at the moment I only have pick up selector and volume. Doesn't really make much difference and in all honesty, I'm not sure if this bass has a pre-amp so it may just have a passive signal. Anyway, I am going to try a set of EMG's on it first which I am sure will be perfect. I have EMG's on my warwick and the sound of that bass still takes my breath away after 18 years. I would keep the pickups the Mouradian has on at the moment but the interference is bad - if I touch the bridge, it pops and ticks and hums! Getting the electrics sorted out on it very soon. Can't wait to play it live - it's certainly turning heads already amongst musician friends I have here in the UK!!

I love the neck on it - you are right it does play very quick. Once I had the action lowered to just how I like it, it's hard to put it down. The neck feels really short once I have the bass round my neck. One major gripe - difficult to play sitting down without the strap on - it keeps slipping off my knee!
  20. Marcury

Marcury High and Low Supporting Member

WOW!!! :eek: How cool!